The prothrombin time (PT) is the most commonly used anticoagulant test and was first introduced into use by Dr. Armand Quick and colleagues in 1935.^1 The PT is used to evaluate the tissue factor (TF) and common coagulation pathway thus affecting the activity of the coagulation factors II (FII, V (FV), VII (FVII), X (FX), and fibrinogen. This test is also used to measure the effect of warfarin and measures the time in seconds required for clot formation after thromboplastin reagent (a mixture of TF, lipids, and calcium chloride) is added to platelet-poor-plasma (PPP).^1 International normalized ratio (INR) is a way of expressing the PT in a standardized way by comparing it to a reference value and also ensures that results obtained by various laboratories in different facilities can be compared reliably.^2
INR monitoring is required for patients who are on warfarin, a vitamin K antagonist. The dose of warfarin is adjusted based on INR results so that it remains in the therapeutic range to prevent thrombosis from subtherapeutic INR or hemorrhagic complications from supratherapeutic INR.^1
Solaris Diagnostics laboratory now offers an in-house PT/INR test with a turnaround time of less than 1 hour from the time the sample is received in the laboratory.
1. Dorgalaleh A, Favaloro EJ, Bahraini M, Rad F. Standardization of Prothrombin Time/International Normalized Ratio (PT/INR). Int J Lab Hematol. 2021 Feb;43(1):21-28. doi: 10.1111/ijlh.13349. Epub 2020 Sep 26. PMID: 32979036.
2. Shikdar S, Vashisht R, Bhattacharya PT. International Normalized Ratio (INR) [Updated 2021 May 10]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://lnkd.in/dTaxDqhK
Benefits of Working with Solaris Diagnostics
Now you can provide patients with the quickest and most accurate diagnosis possible from our high-complexity, CLIA accredited laboratory. Choose Solaris Diagnostics for:
- Simple collection
- Results by 5:00 pm on the day the lab receives the specimen
- Direct access to experienced scientific staff
- Among the most personal customer service experiences in the industry
Our experts assist clinicians and health care providers in rapidly identifying the pathogens and underlying causes of disease. We know that fast and accurate diagnoses lead to better patient outcomes.
For more information call 844-550-0308 to speak with one of our staff. You may also use the form on our Contact Us page.