Zeroing in on Respiratory Tract Infections
Chest and lung infections result in highly variable symptoms that complicate diagnosis. Nasal congestion, coughing & sneezing, fever, painful swallowing, and sore throat: these indications and more offer doctors no immediate clue as to whether the infectious agent is bacterial, viral, or fungal.
Serology and culturing are traditional methods for the identification of Upper Respiratory Infections (URI) pathogens. Unfortunately, these approaches require highly trained personnel, are labor-intensive, and require days or even weeks to deliver results.
Further complicating matters are co-infections, possible recent antibiotic use, and pathogens that are inherently difficult to culture.
Molecular Diagnostics Provides Quick and Accurate Diagnoses
Pioneered in the late twentieth century, today Molecular Diagnostics offers comprehensive, respiratory pathogen detection by molecular technique. An application of molecular biology, including the understanding of proteins, nucleic acids, and DNA and RNA genetic markers, molecular diagnostics offers significant advantages over traditional methods of pathogen identification. These include:
- Speed of Diagnosis: Same day results or results within 24 hours are possible
- Accuracy of Diagnosis: Respiratory panels using molecular technique can detect a wide variety of viral, bacterial, and fungal targets
- Sensitivity of Diagnosis: Molecular techniques can be both specific and highly sensitive, detecting pathogens immediately after infection
- Solves Complicated Diagnosis: Co-infections, recent antibiotic use, and difficult to culture pathogens do not present roadblocks to molecular techniques
Benefits of Working with Solaris Diagnostics
At Solaris Diagnostics, our Respiratory Pathogen Panel uses Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) to amplify selected sections of DNA for analysis. PCR is fast, producing results within hours, and highly sensitive, even capable of viral detection before the onset of disease.
Now you can provide patients with the quickest and most accurate diagnosis possible from our high-complexity, CLIA accredited laboratory. Choose Solaris Diagnostics for:
- Simple collection
- Results by 5:00 pm on the day the lab receives the specimen
- Direct access to experienced scientific staff
- Among the most personal customer service experiences in the industry
Our experts assist clinicians and health care providers in rapidly identifying the pathogens and underlying causes of disease. We know that fast and accurate diagnoses lead to better patient outcomes.