Written by: Solaris Diagnostics

Testosterone is a hormone that is produced by both males and females which acts as a chemical messenger throughout the body. Testosterone is produced in the adrenal glands while also being produced at a higher level in the testes of males and in the ovaries of females. Testosterone is an important chemical messenger for a multitude of reasons, it helps regulate the development of muscle mass, bone growth and is important for male sexual maturity. Testosterone binds to three main proteins, sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), cortisol binding globulin and albumin. Approximately 98% of an individual’s testosterone is bound to one of these proteins while the other 2% is unbounded or otherwise known as free floating testosterone. Solaris Diagnostics is able to measure these testosterone levels bounded and unbounded. Solaris can measure the total testosterone from a blood sample using an immunoassay analyzer.

Solaris Diagnostics also offers a free-floating testosterone test that uses an ELISA plating procedure to measure the actual levels of free-floating testosterone rather than trying to calculate the level of free-floating testosterone based on albumin, SHBG and total testosterone which can misrepresent how much free testosterone is actually in the blood. With these combined measures Solaris is able to accurately and effectively provide valuable patient data to medical professionals who can take this data and provide better monitoring and care for their patients with turnaround time of 24-48 hours from the time it is received in the laboratory.

Share this Article

Recent Articles

Pre – albumin assay

  The pre-albumin assay is an in vitro assay used for the for the quantitative determination of pre-albumin in human serum. Pre-albumin, also known as

Read More »

Alpha 1 Antitrypsin

  Denotated as AAT or A1AT. Protein produced in liver. Used to protect the body tissue from infection fighting agents released from their own immune

Read More »

Monkeypox Part2

Collection of specimens should be done with appropriate PPE (personal protective equipment) and safeguards in place. Here are monkeypox infection control recommendations in healthcare settings.

Read More »


Monkeypox was once known as an uncommon infection primarily confined to rainforest regions in central and western Africa. Recent cases, however, have emerged in larger

Read More »

HSV1 and 2

  Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) can be categorized into two types, Herpes Simplex 1 (HSV-1), and Herpes Simplex 2 (HSV-2); both of which rarely exhibit

Read More »

Need a Reliable Diagnostic Partner?

At Solaris Diagnostics, we make it easy!

Our Results Portal allows you access patient reports quickly and securely online.

To request access to the Providers Results Portal, please complete our Provider Registration form.

Scroll to Top